Monday, July 4, 2011

There is freedom...

...in a wave.

Yesterday, I went surfing with my son. Despite my new back troubles and pain, I braved the boards and got in to the van with my hubby and my son, and went to Mondos. I couldn't stay out of the water one more day.

It was an absolutely perfect day to surf. The sky was turquoise, and the water was glassy.  A slight off shore wind let the waves curl just a little.

Sean borrowed Jim's wet suit, and Jim sat out on the beach, while we both went in the water and enjoyed a few waves.

Funny thing, success and motivation.  At first, Sean didn't want to surf, feeling like he was never going to catch a wave. He told me 'surfing just wasn't his thing', and that he was planning on going back in to the beach and getting the boggie board, "...because I'm better at that." he said. Thankfully, a nice and slightly powerful set of waves came in and using my yellow AIPA 8'2" banana board Sean caught a beautiful wave and rode it in almost all the way to the beach.

"So you're ready to go in now?" I asked him, hoping I knew what his answer would be.  He looked at me and smiled.  "I think I'll stay out here for a while." His grin got wider.  I could tell he'd felt a thrill riding that wave.  That was when I did the "mommy dance" (on the inside of course), and almost cried from happiness. I think maybe every parent wants their kids to find some joy in something they love.  Even if it's just the joy of being together.

There are all kinds of freedoms in the world, but the best kind for me yesterday was on a wave. Sharing it with my son, and watching him smile. It's a moment that isn't permanent, but will have a lasting effect on me forever.

1 comment: