Monday, September 2, 2013

Changes: They Are a-Comin' . . .

Nothing is permanent. Nothing remains the same. It's a hard lesson to learn, and one we fight against all of the time despite the obvious daily proof that it's a certainty.

August 28th was a particularly hard day. It was 4 weeks since Jim's bike crash and the day Kira moved out of her house and into her first solo apartment with her boyfriend, Owais. It's also the day Jim found out he couldn't come home yet and had to spend at least another week in the hospital due to both a blood infection (septicemia) and a urinary tract infection. 

The worst of the day was when our beloved furry family member Maddie died. Maddie was the oddest creature. She loved to go on walks with the dog, and would cry at the door whenever we left her inside so we could take the dog (Paris) for a long walk. Maddie was the cutest kitty ever, and we were heartbroken to come home and find out that she'd been attacked by a dog and killed. The neighbor across the street tried to save her, and even ran her to the vet, but she died enroute. (RIP Maddie. May your next life be bright and happy! We will miss you!)






All of these changes served as a catalyst for me to make some very big decisions. Finances, in this world, tend to be the key for survival and because of that key I had to change the door and the lock on the door of our lives.

I traded in both of our old cars for new 2013 models. While that sounds like more money spent, it was with a purpose. Now both cars have bumper to bumper warranty, free roadside assistance and gap insurance. 

Our house is a 4 bedroom rental home that now has only 3 people living in it, and so I gave notice the 30th of this month that we would be moving out of it and selected a 2 bedroom apartment not far from here that is $500.00 less to pay per month. Not only that, but we'll have less to pay in terms of insurance, garbage pick up fees, less electricity use and water use, and there will be much less housework (which I really like).

It's a step down in the 'standard' of living one might say, but prudent in terms of financial responsibility. I'll miss my garden, and my quiet back patio (with the exception of the buzz of the Hwy 126), but there's a small balcony at the apartment where I can still place my patio furniture and hang out and write.

Often, as humans, we tend to collect things. Old furniture, pictures, dishware and the like. Those of us who have garages recognize how much we put in boxes and set aside. Half the time we aren't aware of all of the THINGS we've accumulated. The month of September there are two mottos: 1. Get rid of STUFF and 2. Get the jobs done.

This entry will be ongoing and you'll see some pictures below once I get things together, but that's the status today. If you'd like to keep up with what's going on, please subscribe to my blog and you'll get the updates. If not, believe me I understand. The world is too busy, and it's getting more frantic with buzz every day. Just know that I love you all. Each and every one. From those who are my closest family to those far away. From my dear friends, to those who've mentored me, those I've worked with and those who keep in touch professionally. Thank you all for your prayers, kind thoughts and meditations in this time of rapid change for our family. More soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment